Sunday, May 18, 2008


Dear Brothers and Sisters...

My name is Diego dos Anjos and I am 21. I am from João Pessoa, Brazil.
I didn’t come from a Christian family, but in 1997 some missionaries came to my city and presented the gospel to me. In April 19
th of 2000 I made the best decision of my life: I decided to devote my entire life to Jesus, follow him and love him every day, on that day I was baptized.
Since then, I have been changing and growing spiritually every day. In João Pessoa, I had the opportunity to work with a lot of different ministries, such as children ministry, youth group, men’s group, personal bible studies, school of the bible (a tool that we use to preach the gospel to the community), mission campaigns and others.

In 2005 we received an AIM TEAM that came to work with my congregation. The AIM program is a tool to train young people to be more Christ-like, and to be disciples of Him. And with that the betterment of themselves so they can obey the great commission, going unto the entire world and making disciples for Christ. During the first part of the program the students stay 8 months in Lubbock, TX having intense Bible class. The second part they are put into teams and spread throughout the world.
At the same time (2005), I was really worried about a future profession. In Brazil, the only way to get in the college and be able to have a good profession is being approved in a test called ‘VESTIBULAR’. My dream career was to be a Doctor (med school), but this is the most difficult entry exam to pass. So, that year I studied the whole year but when I took the test I didn’t pass. In 2006, I almost gave up on my dream, but I decided to attempt the exam one more time.
It was a crazy year. I was studying for 9, 10, sometimes 12 hours each day. The subjects on the exam included: geography, biology, chemistry, physics, math, English language, Portuguese language and history. At the end of the year I took the exam for the second time… I was very nervous that day, but I knew that God was with me and that his will would prevail.
In the beginning of 2007 I received the results: I WAS APPROVED! And I cried out: “DOCTOR, DOCTOR, DOCTOR DIEGO… THANK YOU GOD!
Then the AIM TEAM in my city explained to me more about the AIM PROGRAM and gave me motivation and encouragement to come the U.S. The idea was awesome, I was tired of studying subjects that didn’t have anything to do with my real life, I mean, my spiritual life. After I received the news, I had the best idea: “the classes at the college would start in the end of 2007, so, I would like to study the word of God… and spend 9, 10, and 12 hours learning about His love.’’
I figured out that the full program was about 2 years, but I would just be able to do some months because I had to come back to Brazil and start the med school. I asked the AIM director if this would be a problem and He said, “No.”… So, I packed all my stuff and took off in this adventure.
Like I said, I arrived in USA in August and started the program. It has been such an amazing experience so far. I’ve been learning about the bible, learning about God and being equipped with bible knowledge. It’s wonderful!
In October 2007 I realized that the medical school class would start in the end of November. For me, it was sad news because I love being a part of the AIM Program. Thus, I had to make a decision… a big one: remain in the AIM program and remain in America , or come back to Brazil and start medical school. After spending a lot of time praying, thinking and crying I realized that the college would allow me to start the program later and they would keep my place even if I remained here. I was still kind of afraid and I had a big doubt. I asked myself, “Should start my future career professional or not?” After a little more time spent praying, thinking, and crying I made my decision. ”STAY in the AIM PROGRAM!”.

Right now, i am on the second part of AIM, which is when we go in teams to different places around the world. Each AimTeam has a MISSION FIELD and each Mission Field has your own peculiarities. My team is going to Tlalpan, Mexico. We will be spending at least 14 months there, working with the congregation in Tlalpan. Our instructor will be Sean and Jeni Mclue

I still want to be a doctor, but as they say in AIM when they talk about "another subject":

this AFTER AIM!!! stuff...

Isaiah 6.8 HERE I AM, SEND ME!

No comments: